Crop premiums lower to entice more farmers

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Published: January 23, 1997

Farm groups and opposition parties offered mixed reaction to Saskatchewan’s new crop insurance program, but cheaper premiums pleased everyone.

Saskatchewan Wheat Pool president Leroy Larsen said basic low-level coverage at an affordable premium is attractive when farmers consider the price of growing a crop.

“The risk is getting higher every year,” Larsen said. “This is a tool that producers can use to help manage their risk.”

The president of the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities said his organization was concerned that only about half of the seeded acres were insured last year.

Read Also

A man and a woman stand over a table loaded with fresh produce, including corn and a pumpkin.

Alberta farm lives up to corn capital reputation

Farm to Table Tour highlighting to consumers where their food comes from features Molnar Farms which grows a large variety of market fruits and vegetables including corn, with Taber being known as the Corn Capital of Canada.

“I would suggest that at 50 percent of the acres, (the program) wasn’t effective,” said Sinclair Harrison. “Certainly if we can attract 75 percent of the acres it’s a step in the right direction.”

Agriculture minister Eric Upshall is also hoping for 75 percent participation.

“I think it will take a couple of years for people to actually look at the program,” he said. “What I’m basically doing … is appealing to all those people out there … to have a look at this because I think that you’ll be surprised at what you can get.”

Opposition agriculture critic Glen McPherson said the 75 percent figure is optimistic because 10,000 farmers dropped out of the program between 1993 and 1996.

“This government lost the faith of a lot of farmers in the last few years, changing programs retroactively, taking $188 million out of the GRIP program and putting it into general revenue, sending bills out to farmers after they have stated in this House that they would not do so,” he said.

“I think they’ve got their plate full in trying to regain the support of farmers.”

Tory agriculture critic Dan D’Autremont said farmers will have to assess the new program individually.

“If the government is expecting farmers to simply jump in by March 15 without having any real information about this program I think they’re going to be greatly disappointed,” he said.

About the author

Karen Briere

Karen Briere

Karen Briere grew up in Canora, Sask. where her family had a grain and cattle operation. She has a degree in journalism from the University of Regina and has spent more than 30 years covering agriculture from the Western Producer’s Regina bureau.

explore

Stories from our other publications