Hereford event goes virtual
The Canadian Junior Hereford Association’s national event was transformed into the Virtual Bonanza 2020, due to COVID-19.
CJHA members started registering and video-taping their animals throughout May and June for the competition, which was held over four days in July.
There were five cattle shows with all classes, two art competitions and one individual judging competition covering all four age divisions.
Junior members made up education videos to share with their peers on topics such as artificial insemination, grooming and fitting.
More than 70 kids and 175 animals participated with prize payouts of more than $5,000.
Show results are at cattlevids.ca/2020/bonanza2020.html.
Hereford scholarship recipients announced
Here are the Keith Gilmore Foundation/Canadian Junior Hereford Association Future of the Breed Scholarship $1,000 winners for 2020:
- Daniel Schuepbach from Claresholm, Alta.
- Megan Nicholas from Milestone, Sask.
- Gavin Fleck from Outlook, Sask.
- Katie Elmhirst from Peterborough, Ont.
The KGF Hereford Youth Scholarship $2,500 winners are as follows:
- Grace Misek from Lethbridge, Alta.
- Lyndsey Smith from Camrose, Alta.
The KGF Prize for Beef Innovation $10,000 winner is Jessica Sperber from Ponoka, Alta.
Hereford honour roll recipients announced
The Canadian Junior Hereford Association honour roll recipients are recognized as ambassadors of the Hereford breed and leaders within the junior programs.
This year’s CJHA honour roll recipients are:
- Allison Booth from Jolicure, N.B.
- Emma Nicholas from Milestone, Sask.
- Jillian Just from Yorkton, Sask.
- Levi Rimke from Oak Lake, Man.
For more information contact Libby Laycraft at email@example.com.