REGINA — This has been a stellar year for two Saskatchewan families showing prize purebred cattle.
A panel of five judges at the Canadian Western Agribition RBC supreme championship agreed a Limousin bull from the Payne family at Lloydminster and an Angus pair from the Morrison family of Radville, Sask., were the top cattle at the show held Nov. 30 in Regina.
“This is an elite group and all know what work is, because these cattle would not be here without the preparation and the work,” said judge Jay Holmes before the winners were named and awarded $10,000 each.
Cattle from 10 breeds representing 11 Canadian shows made this a national event.
The supreme champion bull was Greenwood Electric Impact ET whose sire, Greenwood Canadian Impact ET, was the 2017 Agribition supreme bull.
Exhibited by Scott and Jackie Payne, who own Greenwood Limousin and Angus, Electric Impact was sold at Agribition for $62,000 offering full possession and a half interest.
This bull was also supreme at Edmonton’s Farmfair International and Lloydminster Stockade Roundup this fall. A half sibling to this bull was grand champion Limousin female at Agribition.
These cattle were both from embryo transplants and were part of a 10-year plan, said Jackie Payne. Both champion bulls have calves on the ground and the semen rights on Electric Impact have been sold to breeders in Australia, South Africa, Mexico and United States.
Both trace back to a cow named Wisteria, a soft, heavy-muscled animal that had the traits they were looking for in their long-term Limousin plan.
“Three years in a row we have had a supreme winner at Farmfair but we knocked on the door 12 years before that. We have to keep moving forward,” she said.
“We could have gotten frustrated and quit, but we didn’t.”
The supreme champion female was Brooking Countess 7077 by Bar E-L Natural Law 52Y. The calf at side was Brooking Dusty’s Countess 9026. Exhibited by Justin and Tawnie Morrison of Radville, who own Brooking Angus Ranch, the cow was sold earlier to Dusty Rose Cattle Co. of Arcola, Sask., and the heifer calf, a home-raised female, was sold at the Brooking production sale to KT Ranches of British Columbia.
This pair has triumphed all year, first winning championships at the Prince Albert Exhibition and Canadian Western Agribition and was supreme champion at Farmfair and later Agribition.
“It has been an awesome year for us,” said Justin Morrison.
The champion cow is expected to have a calf in January and big things are expected of the current daughter.
“We think the calf is even better than the cow and I think it will be our next step to continue that sire line. It takes time.
“The mind works faster than the gestation process. It is a slow process.”
- (Angus) North Perth Barbara 507 exhibited by Merit Cattle Co. of Radville
- (Simmental) Wheatland Lady 7113E exhibited by Wheatland Cattle Co. of Bienfait, Sask., and Michelson Land and Cattle et al
- (Angus) Greenwood Vixon JJP 17E exhibited by Ter-Ron Farms of Forestburg, Alta.
- (Simmental) CMS Soda Pop 425B exhibited by Black Gold Simmental of Lloydminster, Sask.
- (Angus) VOS Vega Black Pearl 6E exhibited by Vos Vegas Farms of Plainfield, Ont.
- (Red Angus) Red Cinder Freyja 29E exhibited by Cinder Angus of Barrhead, Alta., and Brylor Ranch of Pincher Creek, Alta.
- (Charolais) BRCHE Berkley Ann 8507 PLD ET exhibited by Prairie Cove Charolais of Bashaw, Alta.
- (Angus) Brooking Countess 7077 exhibited by Brooking Angus Ranch of Radville and Dusty Rose Cattle Co. of Arcola
- (Red Angus) Red Six Mile Fanny 149D exhibited by Six Mile Red Angus Ltd. of Fir Mountain, Sask., and Sunberry Valley Farms
- (Charolais) SVY Starstruck 712E exhibited by Serhienko Cattle Co. of Maymont, Sask., and Brandon Hertz
- (Angus) Brooking Gold Coin 8069 exhibited by Brooking Angus Ranch and ZWT Ranch
- (Polled Hereford) GH 377X Eclipse 27E exhibited by Nelson Hirsche Purebreds, Del Bonita, Alta., and Sanburg Herefords
- (Angus) Merit Sting 7047E exhibited by Double F Cattle Co. of Parkside, Sask., and Merit Cattle Co.
- (Simmental) Bailey’s One of a Kind exhibited by Crowe Bros. of Gilbert Plains, Man., and Stewart Cattle Co.
- (Angus) DMM Crank 13E exhibited by Miller Wilson Angus of Bashaw, and Nelson Hirsche Purebreds
- (Angus) Conley South Point 8362 exhibited by Wilbar Cattle Co. of Dundurn, Sask., Conley Cattle, Poplar Meadows Angus of Houston, B.C.
- (Red Angus) Red DKF Racer 8E exhibited by Shiloh Cattle Co. Craigmyle, Alta., and DKF Angus
- (Polled Hereford) Haroldsons Upgrade 33D 36G exhibited by Haroldsons Polled Herefords of Wawota, Sask., and Hoffman Herefords, Nebraska
- (Limousin) Greenwood Electric Impact ET exhibited by Greenwood Limousin and Angus, Lloydminster and Ben Armitage, Kinsella, Alta.
- (Simmental) SVS Dynasty 915G exhibited by Sunny Valley Simmentals, Hanley, Sask.