Woman receives leadership award
Lillie Ann Morris has won this year’s leadership award from the Canadian Forage and Grassland Association.
Originally from a crop and dairy farm in Kentucky, Morris worked in farm media sales with Farm Business Communications.
In 1994, she co-founded AgRelations Inc., an agri-marketing consulting company.
She has been the principal in L. A. Morris and Associates since 1998.
She managed advertising sales for CanWest DHI for 16 years and currently co-ordinates media sales for Country Guide (East), Le Bulletin des Agriculteurs and Farmtario, published by Glacier FarmMedia.
Morris has been a member of the Canadian Agri-Marketing Association since 1976. She is also a member of the Soil Conservation Council of Canada, the Ontario Soil and Crop Improvement Association, Ontario Agri-Food Education, the Women’s Advertising Club of Toronto, and the Innovative Farmers Association of Ontario.
Agricultural youth programs launched
The Lori Litherland Foundation has officially launched as a registered charity to support Canadian agriculture-focused youth programs.
The foundation’s first initiative is to assist financially disadvantaged students who will be attending agricultural studies at the University of Guelph.
The foundation will provide scholarships to first-year undergraduate students in the Ontario Agriculture College at the University of Guelph.
Lori Litherland led her management agribusiness called Litherland and Company for more than 26 years.
She founded and endowed the charity before her death to encourage students to follow their passion for agriculture.
For more information, visit firstname.lastname@example.org.
Farmfair presents family awards
Thirteen farm families have been recognized with the 2019 Farmfair International BMO Farm Family Award, which is now 50 years old.
Once nominated by members of their community, the northern and central Agricultural Service Boards select outstanding families that best represent values of the family farm.
The award honours both their farming business practices and community involvement.
The recipients this year are:
- Clarence and Rose Olthuis of Sunburst Farms Ltd. from the County of Barrhead
- Kent and Stacey Rude from Beaver County
- Wayne and Sharyn Terpsma from Clearwater County
- Jim and Evelyn Malbeuf of Malbeuf Farm of Lac La Biche County
- Will and Joan Petluk of P-Nutz Farm from Northern Sunrise County
- Robert and Carrie Dickson of Mighty Peace Honey from the Municipal District of Peace
- Doug and Lyla Yanishewski from Saddle Hills County
- Bernard and Monique Maisonneuve from the Municipal District of Smoky River
- Kevin and Janice Wirsta of K-Cow Ranch from the County of St. Paul
- Carol and Darrel Maier of Country Road Greenhouses from Strathcona County
- Greg and Marie Lychak from the County of Two Hills
- Todd and Janine Hames of Hames Ridge Farm from the County of Vermilion River
- Randy and Sandy Lorentz of Sunrise Farms from the County of Wetaskiwin