You can spend a little or a lot on steak. Here are the most common of the more expensive cuts:
What to barbecue?
- Tenderloin: Medallions or filets cut from the loin section are the leanest, most tender and most expensive
- Strip loin: Often called New York steak, it is not as tender as tenderloin, but some consider it the tastiest cut
- T-bone: It has tenderloin on one side of the bone and strip loin on the other. Both sides are flavourful
- Porterhouse: Similar in appearance to T-bones but they have a larger piece of tenderloin. If priced the same, choose porterhouse over a T-bone
- Top sirloin: Usually a thick cut. It is a little tougher than rib and loin cuts, but flavourful
- Rib eye: Considered an alternative to tenderloin, a rib eye has fine texture and should be delicately marbled.
Source: Canadian Living and staff research