By using this Website’s user-contribution features, including comments, photo galleries, or any other feature, you agree to abide by the terms of this agreement. Please read this agreement in its entirety because it contains a lot of useful information that will help you better understand the rules and general “good manners” that are expected when contributing content to this Website.
We want to encourage an open exchange of information and ideas. But if you use inappropriate language (even when typographically obfuscated), or make potentially slanderous or libelous comments when using this site and its features, or engage in ad hominem attacks on fellow commenter’s, people mentioned in stories, contributors or any employee of Producer.com or Glacier Media Group, we reserve the right (but assume no obligation) to remove any and/or all of your contributions. If you become a problem for us or our site’s other users we may ban you from using our services and Websites. (If your account has been banned, and you have a reasonable case to make regarding reinstating your account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We believe it is absolutely possible for people from a variety of points of view to discuss issues in a civil manner; and we reserve the right, but assume no obligation, to remove comments and ban accounts of users that foster incivility.
It is important to know that we DO NOT review every contribution made on this Website. More than likely, you will see user contributions before anyone on staff here does. This may include information and opinions from a variety of individuals and organizations other than official content from this Website and its staff. We do not endorse or guarantee the accuracy of any user contribution, regardless of whether it comes from a user, celebrity, “expert,” or other source. Responsibility for what is posted or contributed to this site is the sole responsibility of each user. By contributing to this Website, you agree not to post any defamatory, abusive, harassing, obscene, sexual, threatening or illegal material, or any other material that infringes on the ability of others to enjoy this site, or that infringes on the rights of others.
You agree to NOT use this Website to violate any copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property. By contributing to this Website, you are representing that you are the owner of the material, or are making your submission with the explicit consent of the owner. Submitting material that is the property of another without the specific consent of its owner is not only a violation of this agreement, but may also subject you to legal liability for infringement of copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property rights.
Any user who feels that a contribution to this Website is objectionable is encouraged to click the “Suggest removal” link related to the specific post or posts. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so — within a reasonable time frame — if we determine that removal is necessary. We reserve the right to remove postings from usernames which themselves might be considered objectionable. We also reserve the right to ban accounts with usernames which are in themselves objectionable.
www.producer.com may ban any user, or delete any post, or take any action with regard to its Web site related to user submitted content. By contributing to this Website, you:
Agree not to solicit others. You agree not to contribute for the purposes of advertising or to solicit anyone to buy or sell products or services, or to make donations of any kind, or to promote other web sites, without our express written approval, or where expressly permitted.
Agree not to have multiple personalities on our boards. Each user may have only one username. Use or possession of multiple usernames may result in our banning your user account or accounts.
Agree not to create usernames which are objectionable, even those which utilize typographical obfuscations.
Agree not to upload, post, distribute, e-mail or otherwise publish or make available on this Website any libelous, defamatory, obscene, harmful, vulgar, threatening, tortuous, harassing, abusive, invasive of another user’s privacy, hateful, racially or ethnically objectionable, or otherwise illegal material;
Agree not to upload, post, distribute, e-mail or otherwise publish or make available on this Website any content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under non-disclosure agreements);
Agree not to upload, post, distribute, e-mail or otherwise publish or make available on this Website any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights (“Rights”) of any party;
Agree not to upload, post, distribute, e-mail or otherwise publish or make available on this Website any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of solicitation; and
Agree not to upload, post, distribute, e-mail or otherwise publish or make available on this Website any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware, telecommunications, or other equipment.
Agree to not impersonate anyone on this Website;
Agree not to knowingly give out any private information about other users. Users who engage in the behavior of continually trying to guess other user’s private information may be banned and their account and contributions removed.
As noted earlier, if this type of action is thought to be happening on this Website, we reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we may know about you, including your IP address(es)) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from this type of action. Your posting of content and your thoughts on www.producer.com automatically gives www.producer.com a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, disseminate, perform, transmit and display such content (in whole or part) and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in such content. If you are not the owner of such content, you shall be deemed to have warranted that the owner of the content has expressly granted to you a similar license.
We retain the right to revoke access privileges of anyone who we believe has violated any of the terms outlined here or if such user is deemed a problem to either the site or its other users. We also reserve the right to ban any user and his or her comments from showing up on this Website, without notice.
RSS Use Policy
By accessing www.producer.com Really Simple Syndication (“RSS”) feeds, you are consenting to be bound by the following terms and conditions which govern your use of the RSS feeds. If you do not agree to all of the terms and conditions, do not access our RSS feeds.
The RSS feeds are provided solely for the purpose of allowing individuals to view headlines from www.producer.com within news readers and blogs for their personal, noncommercial use. Any other uses of the RSS feeds are strictly prohibited.
Producer.com retains all ownership and other rights in the RSS feeds, including all rights under copyright. You may not edit or modify the text, content, or links supplied in the RSS feeds.
You may not display the RSS feeds in any manner that does not permit immediate linking to, redirection to, or delivery of the applicable www.producer.com web page. You may not frame or otherwise control the browser window, if any, in which thewww.producer.com web page opens, nor may you insert any jump pages or other intermediate or interstitial pages between the RSS link and the applicable www.producer.com web page. No content, including any advertisements or other promotional content, may be added to the RSS feeds.
Producer.com reserves the right to cease its distribution of any or all of the RSS feeds and/or to change the content or formatting of the RSS feeds at any time, at its sole discretion, and without notice to you. Producer.com further reserves the right to require you to cease displaying, distributing or otherwise using any or all of the RSS feeds for any reason, including but not limited to, your commercial use of the RSS feeds or any other violation of these terms and conditions.
Producer.com PROVIDES THE RSS FEEDS ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. THE SITE NAME SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR YOUR USE OF THE RSS FEEDS OR FOR ANY OF YOUR ACTIVITIES IN CONNECTION WITH THE RSS FEEDS. TO THE FULLEST EXTEND ALLOWED, Producer.com DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, PERFORMANCE, COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE, ACCURACY, OR RELIABILITY.
Western Producer Publications views customer information, including name and address information, as a proprietary trade secret. We have very strict policies designed to protect such personal information.
We do occasionally share names and addresses with reputable third parties, but do so under strict guidelines. We honour “do not share” share requests. Any form with which we collect personal information contains a “do not share” option. If personal information is collected without such an option being present, then the information collected is considered not for sharing. Where a person has completed more than one form, and where one has a do not share request and others do not, we rely on the most recently completed form. In other words, we try to do whatever you most recently have told us to do.
While we occasionally share name and address information, we are committed to the following policies:
- We will not share phone numbers with anyone.
- We will not share email addresses with anyone.
- We will not honour “confidentiality agreements” that require us to keep secret from our customers how their name and address have been shared. If you ask us if we have shared your name with a business or organization, we will tell the truth.
- We will not share even the name and address of anyone who has asked us not to do so.
- We will not share information with anyone whose legitimacy is not clear in our own minds.
- Because they are not subject to Canadian privacy laws or practices, Western Producer Publications will not share any personal customer information with non-Canadian persons or businesses.
- Membership information may be collected but will never be disclosed.
NOTE: By their nature some promotions require that we share your information. For example, if we have a sponsored contest, we must share your information with the sponsors so that you are able to receive your prize. If such sharing involves more than name, address and phone number, we will explicitly say so in the contest rules.
What information do we collect?
We collect four kinds of personal information:
- Information necessary for the normal conduct of business. We must have customers’ names, addresses and phone numbers to provide service. We must have credit information for those who require credit, including credit numbers for those using them to purchase our services. We must know if a customer is an agricultural producer, a business or other in order to provide the specific services we offer. We use customer phone numbers as a unique identifier to avoid duplicating accounts. The phone number is so important to our business operation that we make a complete commitment to never share phone numbers from the customer file with any third party for any reason.
- Information helpful in the conduct of business. We ask a great many questions of customers in the course our relationship. These questions include, for The Western Producer, what kinds of crops they grow or livestock they raise. For Acreage Life, we ask about interests and hobbies related to the acreage. We also on occasion ask about details of producers’ operations such as input costs. As set out below, the primary use of this information is in the development and management of our own publications and services. WE NEVER SHARE ANY PERSONAL FINANCIAL INFORMATION provided to us by subscribers in response to such questions.
- “Byproduct information.” We obtain some personal information as a byproduct of other activities. An example would be when an advertiser provides us a list of their customers so that we may mail a special offer or do a match (“merge-purge”) against our own list to eliminate duplication. Our purpose is to deliver something on behalf of a customer, and as a byproduct of doing that we end up with names and addresses. Byproduct information is NOT maintained. Personal information received from third parties is destroyed as soon as the purpose for which we received it has been served. So, in the example where an advertiser wants an insert to be placed in the newspapers only of its own customers, once we have completed the necessary merge-purge and successfully delivered the insert, that customer file is destroyed.
How do we use the information we collect?
- Our primary use of the information we collect is for internal business purposes. For example, it is very important that we have current, complete and accurate addresses and phone numbers so that we may properly deliver the services for which our customers pay. As well, it is important for us to know the kinds of agricultural activities our subscribers engage in so that we can ensure we are fully meeting their information needs. An example is the addition of the Livestock special section to the weekly newspaper. Our information gathering demonstrated that we had a large and active livestock readership.
- We may use the information we collect to contact you ourselves. We frequently contact subscribers and advertisers for a variety of reasons, including conducting surveys, testing the quality of our service and to encourage customers to renew their accounts.
- We may employ a third party to contact subscribers or advertisers for the purposes described above. We have a regular market research program that involves employing independent firms to survey agricultural producers, including non-customers. It is important for us to use outside firms so that we can be confident the information we receive is reliable. It also allows subscribers to be confident that their answers are confidential. When we use outside firms for research, subscriber identities are not revealed with their responses so respondents can be fully frank in their answers.
- We also use outside suppliers to assist in obtaining customer orders and renewals. These suppliers are contractually committed to keeping your personal information protected and are prohibited from sharing this information with anyone. As these firms are acting as our agents, we do not view this as sharing your information. Our agents, including our subscriptions and advertising contractors, are bound to return any paper forms of customer information and to destroy any electronic forms, once the purpose of their possession of the information has been served.
- We may use the aggregated information we collect in news stories, promotional materials or other activities. “Aggregated” means the information from many individuals is added together, for example as in the statement “There are 27,000 Western Producer subscribers who report raising livestock.” No individual is identified in such stories or promotional materials.
Personal information about employees of Western Producer Publications is held in strict confidence. We collect only such employee information as is required for employment purposes. Information for workplace-related social activities may be gathered by the employee social committee, including things like birthdays. Due to their workplace context, such activities are subject to privacy protection under this policy and the information collected may only be used for the purpose intended and agreed to by the affected employees. Employee information is not shared with third parties except as provided by law and in the due intended course of business, including for example, exchanges related to the employee union. Information about an employee may be held as confidential from the employee if the information also includes or serves to divulge third-party information of a private, commercial or confidential nature. Except as required by applicable law, nothing in this policy is intended to prevent the withholding of any information from employees where such is deemed to be in the interest of the company.
Are there exceptions?
Notwithstanding this policy, the company reserves the right to withhold any information from anyone where it is both in the interest of the company to withhold and not inconsistent with applicable law. In other words, circumstances could arise where we feel we have to keep certain information secret and if that happens and the law allows us to, we will keep it secret. Such a situation has never arisen and may never arise. We include this statement only to ensure you understand that there are no absolutes and care should be exercised in understanding the coverage of all privacy policies, including ours.
Western Producer Publications is committed to promptly dealing with any complaints or concerns in regard to privacy issues. Your may also review and request corrections to personal information Western Producer Publications has in its files. Federal privacy laws require such requests to be in writing. This avoids strangers making requests in your name. You may write to Marketing Manager, PO Box 2500, Saskatoon, SK, S7K 2C4. You should include your Western Producer account number and your complete name, address and phone number for identification purposes.