The Prairie Agriculture Carbon summit has brought together agricultural producers, researchers, government policy makers and society at large to explore and discuss the role that agricultural practices currently play in the greenhouse gas balance, and the exciting potential that new technologies can provide.
The current state of carbon pricing and exchange schemes in Canada, the history of carbon sequestration in Prairie cropland, research on sequestration in pastures and forage, fertilizer management and nutrient cycles, presentations on new plant genomics and the potential for increased carbon sequestration and management on the landscape, economics of Carbon Taxes and offsets.
Watch the summit live below:
Schedule for Friday, July 14th:
8:30am – 11:00am: The Science of Sequestration.
– Building Soil Organic Carbon: Opportunities for Saskatchewan with John Bennett, Brian McConkey
– Rangeland Ecological Goods and Services: A synoptic view of research efforts from Alberta grasslands with Daniel Hewins.
11:00am – 12:00pm: Nutrients and Rotations
– Pulses in Rotations and Nutrient Management with Richard Farrell.
1:00pm – 2:00pm: Industry Response to Carbon
– Agricultural Industry: Taking Carbon into Account with Ben Voss and Karen Haugen-Kozyra.
2:00pm – 4:00pm: Frontiers of Research in Carbon and Agriculture
– Keynote Speaker Presentation: The Future of Innovations and Carbon in Agriculture with Maurice Moloney.
Panel Presentation: Carbon & Prairie Agriculture, Looking Ahead with Leon Kochian, Stuart Smyth, Michael Raine.
Details about the Prairie Agriculture Carbon Summit, including list of speakers: www.apascarbonsummit.com