Farm animal council expands promotional campaign
The Farm Animal Council of Saskatchewan is expanding last year’s efforts to educate consumers about how producers responsibly care for their animals.
Over the next year, the faces of young farmers and ranchers will be seen in airports and on billboards, buses, benches and the backs of washroom doors.
Agriculture Canada and Saskatchewan’s agriculture ministry are providing the project’s funding.
4-H leaders recognized
John Drummond of the Kitchener Market 4-H Club in Ontario is the 2013 National Volunteer Leader of the Year.
He received $2,000 and was recognized at 4-H Canada’s annual general meeting in Abbottsford, B.C.
The seven provincial winners were:
- Heather Serafini of the South Country Crafts and Critters 4-H Club in British Columbia
- Dorothy Carlson from the Cherhill 4-H Multi Club in Alberta
- Adele Pizzey of the Binscarth Home-Ettes 4-H Club in Manitoba
- Ila Goodwin of the Chignecto 4-H Club in New Brunswick
- Louise Lachance from the Les Jonquilles St-Léonard Parent in New Brunswick
- Geoff Baldwin of the Ro-Win-Lea 4-H Club in Nova Scotia
- Susan Simmons from the French River 4-H Club in Prince Edward Island
Winners each received $100 and a prize package.
Nominations took place in December. Selection criteria included references, club involvement, community involvement, length of involvement and how much the members learned and developed as a result of the leader.
Canadian Ag Adaptation Program renewed
Agriculture Canada has renewed its five-year Canadian Agricultural Adaptation Program.
More than $50 million will be invested in projects that will help the agriculture industry tap into opportunities and respond to unforeseen issues.
Applications will be accepted until the funds are fully used within the five-year period of 2014-19. Projects must be either national or sector-wide in scope.
CAAP is similar to investments currently being provided under Growing Forward 2.
BrettYoung gets new board member
Paul Brisebois will join BrettYoung Seeds’ board of directors Aug. 21.
Previous experience includes more than 17 years of sales, marketing and leadership in senior positions in Monsanto Canada, Richardson International and Cangene Corp. and most recently as vice-president of marketing at AG Growth International.