Farm Safe Plan | Pilot program includes equipment inspections and emergency response plans
FARM INJURY/FATALITY STATISTICS IN CANADA
- Agriculture ranks as Canada’s third most hazardous industry.
- There were 1,769 agricultural fatalities from 1990-2005.
- Agricultural machines were in-volved in 70.9 percent of fatalities.
- Of those fatally injured as a result of agricultural work, 91.6 percent were male.
- For children aged 14 and under, the most predominant causes of farm-related fatalities for children younger than 14 were:
- machine runovers, 41.9 percent
- drownings, 15.2 percent
- machine rollovers, 11.1 percent
- animal related, 6.5 percent
- crushed under an object, 5.1 percent
Source: Alberta Agriculture