Family Literacy Day is slated for Jan. 27. The initiative was created by ABC Life Literacy Canada in 1999 to raise awareness about reading and literacy-related activities. This year, the organization is encouraging families to take 15 minutes a day to learn together. Here are some ways to get started:
- Write a joke book together.
- Read a bedtime story to the grown-up putting children to bed.
- Create a new recipe together and post it online.
- Organize a book swap at a school or create a book club.
- Play a game of Scrabble.
- Write riddles and share them with friends.
- Surf the internet and learn about animals.
- Make up a song to sing at dinnertime.
- Write messages to your family on sticky notes and post them around the house.
- Create a story about what your family is doing for Family Literacy Day.